DON & SANCHO. . .The Saga Continues

Friday, October 01, 2004

LET'S DIG WORMIES!

One day, Don Andrew said, Let’s go dig wormies, Grandpa. We get a very special kick out of doing that together. He’s not quite like his mom Doña Duchess who used to take the worms out of the worm box and clean them off, stretch them out and put them back in the box to watch them descend into the peat, only to start all over with another worm. She did that while youngest son and I fished and older son was trying to figure out a way to fall in, wherever we were fishing. I really think old Chad liked to swim instead of fish. Brett would fish for hours. Doña Grandma Sanchette (to Don Andrew) would mostly endure the glorious moments of this family outing. She would really rather camp out at the Holiday Inn.

I was telling a story, wasn’t I? After Don Andrew asks to dig wormies, this befuddled old laborer Don Sancho, gets one of Don Andrew’s shovels. You see, grandsons get more than one shovel. His first was from Home Depot and was in this little plastic plaything kit that has the lawnmower, rake, and shovel. Did you ever try to dig West of the Pecos dirt with a plastic shovel?

So, we broke out the A shovel. Why is it an A shovel, you might ask? Well, logically it’s because this befuddled old laborer went back to Home Depot and bought Don Andrew a real shovel just big enough to fit him. A little white tape to make an A on it and you have an A Shovel. Of course, you understand that. When we recently traveled the long distance to East, TX, Don Andrew called this befuddled old laborer and said, Grandpa, bring my A shovel. We can dig wormies at my house.

I was telling you a story, so be sure to reread the first line and we will get back on track. That particular day this befuddled old laborer and Don Andrew took the A shovel and went out under the tree. I sunk the shovel in the ground and told him, Andrew, you can turn it over, dump it, and see if there are any wormies. To this he grabbed the shovel and propelled the dirt straight up into the air, whereupon it landed on our heads. He often does this. It is very funny to Don Andrew.

Guess what was next? Look Grandpa, there’s a stick. Once again we were off into the world of chivalry. He told me he really wants one of those fighter things (a sword). Well that’s better than a light saber. So, here we are off again, Don Quixote and his faithful sidekick Sancho Panza.

I remember my second time through World Lit, one of the things I learned was that all Sancho was for was to protect Don Quixote from himself. The third time through, I discovered real meaning. So, Don Andrew goes forth to slay whatever is in the way, whether a sage bush or a big tree. He is afraid of nothing. But, whatever happened to the wormies?

Be looking forward to even bigger and better adventures. I really don’t know how it could get any better unless it could involve all my grandkids. I hope it can one of these days really soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home